Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement
Diversity is the awareness, respect and appreciation of our elemental differences (e.g., race, ethnicity, socio-economic status, ability, age, gender identity and expression, sex and sexual orientation, religious and political beliefs) and the active inclusion of these varietal differences.
We encourage experiencing and exploring diversity within yoga practices, “styles” and communities.
Diversity is a feeling through all 5 koshas of our being.
The ongoing practice of acknowledgment and liberation of our diverse collective humanity. This includes recognizing our ability to heal and progress as a community via:
- Human rights advocacy
- Svādhyāya (self-study), education, application of understanding and open communication
- The creation of business and compensation models that reflect these principles
Inclusion is the active process in which we consciously accept, honor, and outwardly encompass participants’ lived experiences in order to create an environment that feels welcoming, accessible, and adaptable to all.
We aim to learn and honor the attitudes, practices, and traditions of yoga throughout history so we can truthfully recognize the roots of our community and broaden all perspectives brought into the circle. We strive to evolve ourselves as the yoga environment continues to shift; to provide tools for critical engagement, prevent undue co-opting or claiming of past, present, and future spaces, and promote thoughtful curiosity.
At the Yoga Teacher Conf, we will behave with integrity in the following ways:
- Seeking active inclusion
- Avoiding discrimination
- Providing reasonable accommodations
- Establishing reasonable physical venues/locations
- Aligning our actions and intentions
- Recognizing that our actions and intentions guide each other
- We will not compromise our principle for sake of comfort